Use your muscles--knead the dough by hand!

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

I don't remember where I got this recipe, honestly.  I've had it a while, and I know it wasn't a family recipe, so I probably got it online.  Since these dinner rolls require three risings, keep that in mind when making them.  I've lucked out a few times and had them come out of the oven right as dinner was ready.  They're very good once they've been out of the oven for a while, but they're so much better if you eat them slathered with butter straight out of the pan.  These beat the heck out of any rolls you can buy at the grocery store.  Now that I think about it, they're better than any restaurant rolls I've had, too!


Super Fluffy Dinner Rolls

2 packages yeast (not instant)
1/3 cup warm water
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup scalded milk
2 eggs, beaten
4 1/2 to 5 cups flour
Melted butter

In a large bowl, combine sugar, butter, salt and scalded milk (let it cool to luke warm first).  Soften yeast in warm water until foamy (about 5 minutes) and add to the bowl of wet ingredients along with the eggs.

 This is what it should look like after five minutes assuming your water was the correct temperature.  Notice the little bubbles?  They were emitting a lovely yeasty smell.  :)


Gradually add the flour to form a stiff dough, beating well after each addition.  Knead on a floured surface until smooth and satiny (5 minutes or so).

Place in a well oiled bowl, cover and let rise for about 1 hour (or until doubled).



Yes, I realize this is more than double its original size.  I got busy helping the boys with homework and it rose for closer to 1 1/2 hours.  Oops.

 
Punch down and let rise until doubled again (another hour or so).



 Notice my fist mark in the dough?  I, uh, was a little frazzled from trying to explain even and odd numbers to Jacob for nearly 20 minutes, and I took it out on the poor dough.  It'll be a miracle if these things turn out at all.

Punch down and shape into 18 round balls.  Place in a greased 13x9 baking dish, cover, and let rise until double (again, about an hour).  (I cut the recipe in half and used a 9x9 pan.)

Before


After
 
Brush tops carefully with melted butter and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15 - 18 minutes.  Immediately upon removing from the oven, brush tops again liberally with melted butter.



 If anyone is curious, these rolls end up being about 3 1/2 inches tall.  :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment